Ultimate Educational Toy Shopping Guide for Parents
You return home after a tiring and stressful day at work and realize that your kid is playing with something that’s not very appealing to your eyes. You are just not able to do anything about it because it is gifted by you.
What is the toy that you see? Is it a useless sword? Is it a gun that provokes violence? Is it something that you don’t like seeing in your child’s hands, anymore? Are you repenting buying it for him because it is nothing, but a useless toy?
With no offence to companies that manufacture entertaining toys for kids, there’s something that we wish to add – it is just not possible for you to teach anything to your kids if you continue buying something randomly for them. The best thing to do is shift to educational toys for your little ones.
If you want your kids to grow as angels, you’ve got to focus on buying educational toys for them; the other toys would simply destruct their minds and lead them to be something that you don’t want them to be. There are thousands of articles on how toys influence the minds of children and if you go through at least a few of such content, you realize how essential it is for you to spend at least a few minutes before deciding on what toys to buy for your kids.
Having a child can be fun, but it can also be quite exhausting. It will be very challenging at times to keep him busy for you to finish up your work. However, it’s not only about keeping your child busy, if you want your child to be happy and intelligent, you need to find a good, creative way for him to play and also learn something. This will allow you to focus on your day to day tasks a lot more and it will also offer you the time off that you need at all times.
This is where the need for creating a good set of educational toys comes into play. Not only does this provide you with an excellent way to keep your child busy, but he will also be able to learn something new as well. It’s the very best option if you are looking for great toys to purchase right away and results will pay off quite well here.
Benefits of educational toys for kids
- Kids love to play games; they get to create a world of their own and they will have fun with the entire experience. Plus, a child can enter a beautiful, immersive world without any challenge. It’s an amazing option and one that will pay off immensely in the longer term.
- An educational toy helps a child better develop his senses. A toddler for example can distinguish colors, foods, noises and so on, all thanks to educational toys. They are a substantial investment due to that reason alone.
- They make your child more creative. Yes, your child gets to do whatever he wants with educational toys, so he can be creative as he develops new scenarios based on his imagination. It’s a great investment and one that will pay off very well in the longer term.
- Thanks to educational toys, every child gets to understand that there is a cause and effect to any action. It’s a crucial lesson to learn and one that will pay off for sure.
- When a child plays with educational toys, he will retain interest to them. Unlike other types of toys, these will make your child come back as they are very challenging and designed to bring in front quite a lot of fun, exciting moments.
- The educational toys help with emotional development and social development as well. Every child that plays with these toys will get to understand how he can play with others, how he can wait a turn and so on. In the longer term, these can help boost confidence and pride, which are crucial for every child.
- Easy to use! The educational toys are very intuitive, and every child will be able to enjoy using them regardless of the situation. Your child also gets to express himself a lot easier thanks to these educational tools.
- Educational toys encourage speech development and creative thinking. The value that comes from these is very well worth it, so you should consider giving them a try!
How can you choose educational toys?
Obviously, a primary focus has to be on safety here. You do need to make sure that the toys are right for your child and they won’t cause any injuries. The materials used for these toys can lead to some problems, which is why you have to do all you can to reach the very best results. The experience will be worth it if you choose to get this type of toys, but try to make sure that you focus on the essential safety features.
Toys that have a lot of smaller parts will be very challenging to use and it will take you quite a bit of time to get the best results with them. Also, try to make sure that you avoid educational toys that have a lot of loose parts. These can be very demanding for your child and he might ingest them out of a mistake. It’s important to keep safety in mind when you get this type of toys. Not all of them will have dangerous parts, but some of them will, and you have to be careful.
Yes, some educational toys come with special age restrictions. While some are suitable for toddlers, others are specifically created for kids within 3-5 years old. The reason is simple, the educational toys are designed with a focus on different skills and development, so it can be an excellent idea to use them right away. You will be very impressed with the quality and value delivered here; that’s for sure. Just try to keep in mind that these restrictions are imperative, as you do want your child to receive the best developmental help according to his age.
What type of activity do you want to focus on?
Usually, educational toys are created with a focus on logical thinking. However, they also get to be focused on other skills. Some integrate additional tools that help your child walk for example, as they are included in activity center and Walker hybrids. You will also find musical instruments as educational toys, not to mention that you will get to access some educational toys that are designed for sports. You are free to choose the desired options here, and the outcome can easily pay off.
Plus, some of these educational toys are focused on visual simulation more than mental development. These tasks are easy to understand. However you get to choose what activity you want to focus on when you get this type of toy. There will be parents that want their kid to be focused more on sports, so there are educational toys focused on that. However, if you want toys that are entirely focused on brain development, you can find quite a lot of those on the market.
When you get educational toys, you want them to have the very best functionality. If these toys can do more than one thing, then they will provide you with an extraordinary value right from the start. The experience will be worth it at all times, all you have to do is to give it a shot and the experience will be worth it. Of course, you can opt for toys with single functionality and they will be more than ok.
In case you want better sensory development and a focus on more than one single activity, the educational toys will be excellent in this regard. At the end of the day, this will provide you with an incredible value and the outcome will indeed pay off in this regard.
There are plenty of educational toys that can be pretty heavy. Yes, this is very problematic for many users and you will see that there are quite a lot of challenges coming from the heaviness of these toys. What we recommend you to do here is to focus on their quality at first as that’s what matters. However, if your child isn’t that old or large, he will be unable to carry this toy around. So, you should consider purchasing educational toys that aren’t heavy and which can indeed be carried around with a lot of issues or effort.
You will find educational toys that use technology, while others do not. It all comes down to having the right approach here, so you should consider taking your time and results will be worth it for sure. It might not be a good option if you want to acquire some great results, but the experience will be worth it all the time. Sure, there will be challenges here and there for sure, but overall you will be quite happy with the results.
You will also have to focus on the durability of those educational toys that you want to purchase. Not all of them are very durable, so try to make sure that you pick the models who deliver the very best durability on the market. You will be very impressed with the value and quality provided by some educational toys. However, some are not as durable as you might think; this is why we recommend you to physically test the toy before you purchase it.
At least this way you will know if there are some issues with it, if you need to avoid any problems and so on. Yes, it might take a little bit of time until you get fully adjusted with its use, but durable toys are perfect for kids and you should invest only in this type of toys if you want.
Attention to detail
The design and visuals of educational toys is also important, even if you don’t care that much about it right from the start. You will see that many educational toys look great, but it’s the learning quality and value that they deliver which makes things stand out here.
If you want to get some great toys, you can opt for the wooden ones. These are great educational toys that are suitable for older kids or even toddlers. They make your child more creative, and they will bring in front a wide array of challenges. That alone shows the great value that you can obtain here and results will be excellent in the end.
You want these toys to be colorful. Kids won’t opt towards playing with monochrome products. The more color they have, the more enticing they will be for your child. And you do want that to happen for sure, so try to keep that in mind when you purchase this type of toys.
What type of educational toys should you choose for your child?
As you can imagine, which will change based on the age of your child. Older kids will enjoy board games as these are great for problem solving and cooperative gameplay. They also encourage communication and socialization, skills that are crucial for any child at all times!
Activity centers on the other hand are great for toddlers. These are amazing educational toys that will teach your toddler some basic addition, color matching and shape matching skills. They might not sound like much, but these skills are pivotal for your child and they will bring in front some outstanding results in the longer term, which is exactly what you want to have!
Art kits and toolboxes can also be a great fit for a child. They will offer plenty of creative ideas and opportunities for your child, so you should consider getting this type of educational toys as well. Theme park toys can also be great as they encourage your child to be very creative. There are a wide array of unique, diverse items that you can pick and in the end you will see that results can be very impressive.
When you want to pick the best educational toys for your child you want nothing but the best quality. Of course, this usually gets reflected in the overall price of that product, but not always. That’s why you have to take your time as you try to find the very best options on the market. It will take a bit for sure, but in the end you will be quite impressed with the results and that’s what matters in the end.
Quality is crucial, as you want these educational toys to last for a long time. As we established earlier, kids are always coming back to these toys to play and learn more, so it’s a good idea to give them a shot as fast as possible.
This is the main reason why you have to focus on choosing the right materials for educational toys. Wooden models are great, but you can also find some that are created from hardened plastic which can also bring in quite a bit of durability. You should consider giving these particular ones a shot as they will withstand any hits or pressure from your child.
Focus on educational toys that require imagination
If you want your child to be intelligent and creative, then you need to purchase educational toys that focus on growing his imagination. The process will be quite time-consuming at first, but you will see that the value is very well worth it in the end. It will take a little bit of time at first, but in the end the outcome will be worth it.
You should specifically focus on those toys that help your child grasp a multitude of skills. Some toys will encourage dramatic play; others are more focused on manipulative play while others will be focused on physical activity and art. You can try to get multiple toys and see which ones suit your child the most or you can figure out what your child likes and focus on purchasing only those types of educational toys.
Keep violent toys away from your child
There are some educational toys that use LCDs and technology to help your child explore various interesting ideas. You should try to keep toys that portray any violence, be it digital or otherwise, as far away from your child. This is the last thing you want to do, so try to keep that in mind at all times.
Choose a toy that allows your child to do something with it
The best educational toys are those that will be easy to shape or snap. Your child needs to be enticed by these; they have to spark his curiosity if you want these toys to be a success. It will take a little bit of time until you get some good results here, but try to keep that in mind at all times. After all, you want to get some quality toys that are focused on value.
Obviously, you don’t want to spend too much. Good educational toys will cost you anywhere from $5 to $500. It all comes down to their complexity and what your child can do with them. We recommend you to stick to a certain budget and pick the right models that suit your child’s needs. It will be a challenge to pinpoint which one is the best here, but the experience will be worth it.
What are Educational Toys?
Not every toy has the ability to provide some sort of knowledge to your child; the ones that do are called educational toys, which are typically created for young children.
Educational toys as well as games are awesome ways to make your children learn something that they don’t know in their age. Such toys not only influence the psychology of kids, but also provide them with all the knowledge that they need. In fact, educational toys are popular because they improve motor skills of kids and that’s what the little ones need to develop in a proper way.
What do kids do all day long? Despite going to preschool, nursery or kindergarten, they are found playing at home. Since educational toys provide them with all the knowledge that they need, they grow up quickly and learn things in a better way. Such toys promote creativity and help children do different things at a tender age. You don’t have to sit with your kids all the time to make them learn new things, when they have their best friends – their educational toys.
Types of Educational Toys:
There are different types of educational toys available in the market for children; however, for the sake of giving the best to your child, you can always choose from the following five types:
- The Basic Toys: The first and the most important type of educational toys is the basic one. This includes almost all the general educational toys that you see in the market. Whichever toy promises to give at least a little bit of knowledge to your child can be included in this list. If your kid plays with such toys, he is doing the best with his time.
- The Constructive Ones: Ever gifted blocks to your child? If you have, then you have done the best thing for him. Blocks and other such constructive toys ensure to improve motor movements and creativity in kids. When they build something from random gifted blocks, they feel good about it. They enjoy the control that they have over large sized blocks and their creativity flows out from their mind. Other constructive toys include painting, crafting and decorating kits. Such educational toys promise to get the best out of your child.
- The Budding Artists: Do you want your child to be an artist? Would you do anything to see him developing his artistic skills? We all are artists; all you need to do is give a little push to your child and encourage the creative Picasso in him by gifting him artistic educational toys. The most wonderful thing is that such educational toys are meant for both, boys as well as guys. Artistic toys move your kids towards self-expression, which is quite essential in every human. Once your child learns to express himself, he becomes more social and makes more friends at school.
- Technological Education: If you have no idea about technological educational toys, you are missing out on something major for your child. If you want your son or daughter to walk with the era and the generation he or she has taken birth in, bring technological educational toys into your house. Such toys motivate children to easily grow and learn technological developments happening around them. Technological devices and applications become a part of their daily life. In fact, even if your child doesn’t have a lot of friends, if he has technological devices to keep him happy, he doesn’t need anybody and doesn’t feel depressed, either.
- Scientific Fun: Have you ever heard of toys that motivate your children to become scientists? There are a lot of science and healthcare toys that encourage your kids to keep busy and fall in love with Science. The most difficult subject, after Math, is Science. However, if you buy educational toys that teach Science to your children, there’s nothing like it at all. You don’t have to force your kids to learn or like the subject, when they are already inclined towards it, thanks to toys that encourage them. The next time you wish to buy something unique for your child, make sure the educational toy is related to Science.
Why Buy Educational Toys for Your Child?
There are innumerable benefits of buying educational toys for your child, out of which the top ones are mentioned below:
- Educational toys are beautiful: Haven’t you seen how exquisite educational toys are? If you want to give something beautiful and information to your child, an educational toy is all that you need for him. Instead of gifting silly toys to your daughter, gift her something that helps her develop herself.
- Educational toys encourage your child’s imagination: Why wouldn’t you want to encourage your child’s imagination when that’s all that a person needs? Imagination can make you a wonderful person. In fact, most of the successful people are imaginative. If you want your child to succeed, an educational toy can help him with the same.
- Educational toys promise to develop your child’s motor skills: Developing your child’s motor skills is quite essential. You can help him develop his skills by giving him educational toys because such beauties are made for that purpose.
- Educational toys are not distracting: While most of the toys are annoying and distracting for the parents, educational toys promise to be good to them. You never get distracted when you give an educational toy to your child; in fact, such toys ensure to keep him busy while you are working.
- Educational toys are quite durable: Are you tired of buying toys for your child, over and over again? Quality of ordinary toys is not good. The good thing about educational toys is that they last for long, thanks to the excellent material used to make them.
- Educational toys improve social skills of your child: If you have good educational toys at home, you can invite your child’s friends and let the kids play together. This allows him to develop his social skills and learn to work in groups.
- Educational toys make your children more creative: You would always want to make your child more creative because that’s how he becomes a better person. Educational toys make your child creative. They boost their creative levels.
- Educational toys improve interaction between kids: Since educational toys bring children closer to each other, they ensure interaction between them. Sitting in a group and talking improves your child’s social skills. If your child is social, he will have a lot of good friends as he grows.
- Educational toys are amazing gifts for kids: If you want to gift something to a child, but are unsure of what to gift, the greatest thing to do is buy nice educational toys for him. It doesn’t matter if you are going to a girl’s birthday party of a boy’s birthday party; all that matters is that you gift something educational to the child.
- Educational toys are timeless collections for your child: Every parent wishes to gift something timeless to the child; if you want something incredible for a kid, an educational toy can serve the purpose. Such a toy focuses on the development of the child.
Features of Educational Toys:
Here are a few features of educational toys that you must know:
- Educational toys are quite affordable: There are toys that are very expensive, but educational toys are not. No doubt some of the companies sell toys at higher prices, there are others as well that ensure to sell such toys at affordable rates.
- Different educational toys are manufactured for kids belonging to different age groups: You don’t have to buy just one toy for all the kids you have at home; you can buy a specific toy for your toddler and another one for your five year old, depending on his age, preference and gender as well (even though educational toys are never gender-biased).
- Educational toys are design-specific: Specific designs are made before creating such beasts for your little darlings. This makes every educational toy special. Their designs are pre-decided and carefully made for the development of your child’s mind.
- Educational toys are not harmful to the development of the child’s body and mind: While most of the ordinary toys have sharp edges and can harm the skin of your child, educational toys don’t. Companies that are into the manufacturing of educational toys ensure the safety of your child. This is one of the reasons why most of the parents rely on such toys.
- Educational toys prove to be beneficial to children: If you want to buy something beneficial for your child, educational toys can help you with the same. There are hundreds of benefits of such toys, out of which a few are mentioned previously in this write-up.
Where to Buy Educational Toys from?
So you are finally impressed by educational toys and want to buy a few for the sake of your child’s development? You have taken the right decision because this is exactly what most of the parents are doing at the moment – instead of buying silly or random toys for their kids; all the parents are buying educational toys for their children.
Now the big question is – where can you buy good educational toys from?
No doubt you can get such toys from random land based stores, but we would always suggest e-stores to you. The reason is simple – you don’t have to leave the comfort of your house and couch for the sake of buying toys for your kids. Moreover, e-stores have a lot of good variety of toys for your children. You can sit next to them and allow them to select all the toys that they want to play with.
However, there are a few things that you need to be sure of, before buying an educational toy from an e-store; make sure the website is reputed and known for the kind of toys it deals with. If the e-store doesn’t have a positive or good name in the market, there’s no point in buying it. You can always read reviews of different parents, who have purchased toys from a specific e-store. If you think most of the reviews are positive, buy toys from the same website.
There are a lot of website reviewing websites. However, be sure to trust reviews on the website that’s trustworthy because there are a few bogus e-stores that hire writers to write reviews for them.
Things to Consider Before Buying an Educational Toy for your Child:
If you have decided to buy an educational toy for your child, we are very happy about your decision. This means that we have succeeded in influencing you to do something really good for your child.
However, buying educational toys is no piece of cake; there are thousands of things that you need to consider before buying just a single toy.
Here are a few things that would help you buy the best toy for your child:
- Find out what interests your kid. Learn about his favorite hobby. If you think he enjoys painting, buy a painting educational toy for him; if you think your daughter likes constructing something or the other, buy blocks for her. Educational toys are in abundance; you can pick up anything that interests your child.
- Learn about the e-store you are planning to buy the toy from. You have to be extremely particular and careful in choosing a proper and reputed e-store. If you think the e-store doesn’t have good or genuine products, DO NOT buy toys from there no matter how cheap its products are.
- The next thing that you need to do is check the quality of the product you are planning to buy for your child. The best thing to do is talk to your friends, who have purchased good quality educational toys for their kids. Once you think their kids love the toys that have been gifted to them by their parents, you can buy similar toys from the same e-store.
- Check different toys and find out which one you want to buy for your child. If you want to gift it to a kid you know less about, choose something that most of the kids of his age would prefer playing with.
- Check the brand of the manufacturing company if you want to be sure of the product you buy for a kid. If the company has negative remarks from customers or users, do not buy toys manufactured under its name. Always prefer branded and well-reputed toys for children because, in order to maintain their reputation in the market, such companies take more care while manufacturing products for their customers.
- It doesn’t matter if you are buying the toy for your child or for someone else; you surely want to buy something that you can afford. Thus, ensure to check the price of the toy before you buy it. If you think it’s too expensive and you can’t afford it, you can check for toys that fit in your budget. Just because some of the educational toys are cheap or affordable doesn’t mean their quality is not good. There are several toys that are not only affordable, but also high in quality and appearance as well. Always prefer such toys.
How to Help your Child Grow with Educational Toys?
We are sure you have almost all the knowledge about educational toys now. If you want your child to grow with educational toys, you have to make sure your kid likes them. Yes – you have to find ways in which your daughter picks up blocks instead of picking up a doll that doesn’t encourage the constructive ability in her OR you have to find a way to attract your son to the toy-laptop that you’ve purchased for him. There are a few ways in which you can do the same:
- Introduce the toy to your child; let him know it’s his or her new best friend.
- Find ways to attract your child to his or her new educational toy.
- Discuss the features of the toy with your child; let him or her know that it’s the best one from the lot.
- Let your child know how the toy works; this usually attracts most of the kids.
- If nothing works or all fails, the best thing to do is to sit with your child and play the toy in front of him or her. This is the most amazing and commonly used way to make children like educational toys.
While most of the educational toys promise to do different things for your child, in the end, they are unable to. Find out if an educational toy:
- Attracts your child so that you don’t have to do anything specific to ignite the interest in his heart.
- Encourages the child to be creative enough to play with it.
- Suits the age of your child so that you don’t have to keep an eye when your child plays with it.
- Promises to develop the motor skills of your child.
- Promises to maintain your child’s interest for a long period of time as kids lose interest in a specific toy after a few days.
Boredom and Educational Toys
So how do educational toys promise to keep your kids away from boredom?
We are sure this question is ringing in your mind after reading all those appreciative things that we’ve written about educational toys; every word of whatever we have added in this write-up is true. Studies state that educational toys promote healthy emotions in the hearts and minds of the little ones and hence, parents are now switching to such toys.
Educational toys have random uses. Let’s talk about blocks – kids don’t create just one thing from blocks; there are thousands of things or designs that they can make from mere random pieces. Parents who buy educational toys for their kids are not found cribbing or complaining about the loss of interest of their kids; their children are always in love with the educational toys.
At the end of the day, you want to pick some great educational toys that will keep your child happy, all while allowing him to learn something new for a change. You will see that finding some good toys from this perspective might not be as easy as you might think. However, with our excellent guidelines listed above you shouldn’t have a problem finding the very best educational toys that your child will get to enjoy for the longer term. Just check the points listed above, visit the desired online toy store and make the right choice. Rest assured that getting educational toys will be very helpful for your child, so use these guidelines to find the best models for your child!
Now that you know in and out about educational toys, we hope you buy the best toys for your kids. Make sure you follow all the tips mentioned in this write-up so that you are not fooled by companies that don’t deserve your money. Prefer toys that are safe enough for your kids.
Happy shopping to you!