Innovative Toys for Curious Minds: Top 6 Best Science Toys
Currently, science and STEM learning is one of the most important fields to introduce your child to at an early age. Curiosity, inquiry and innovation grow from using the best science toys out there.
Not only is it important to make science and mathematics fun and exciting for your child, but every game or toy will open a door to a world of opportunity and learning. Science truly is magic—in the best way, through our world and how it works. Find below some of the best science toys for children who never stop asking “why?” and won’t stop until they find out.
32 Square 3D Velociraptor Dinosaur Puzzle in Blue
Dinosaurs and paleontology are commonly our first introduction to science and history. Bring home the magic of visiting the natural history museum with this amazing 3D puzzle from 32 Square.
In a vibrant blue color and made of durable PVC, this little puzzle will not only improve your child’s understanding of structure and inspire building and inquiry. A by-number guide is included, and no extra assembly materials are required: no need to glue or cut out pieces. It’s a puzzle and a look into the past all in one easy-to-display puzzle.
- Fun color choices
- Easy to put together
- Easy to display
- Made of PVC
- By-number guide included
- Very small
- Not to scale
- Not appropriate for very young children
- Individual play—not especially collaborative
Piper Computer Kit
This Kickstarter-funded mini computer is meant for children interested in coding, mathematics and computer programming. With a wood case, an LCD display screen and a series of switches, lights and sensors.
Powered by a raspberry pi board enabled with the popular game Minecraft, this very basic computer is for kids to learn how computers work, safely. In a highly technical world, your child’s curiosity for how their computers and tablets work will only grow. Teach your kids to be inventive, curious and tech-savvy with one of the most forward-thinking toys out there.
- Beautifully and simply designed
- Easy to use
- Many possibilities for gameplay, programming and more
- Minecraft-enabled for digital building
- Raspberry pi-powered
- Helps children learn how their devices work
- One year warranty
- Circuits may be dangerous for very young children
- Batteries not included
- Appropriateness based on technological maturity—purchase with caution
Scientoy Microscope for Kids
If you’re in the market for a great first microscope for kids that is still safe and won’t break the bank, this microscope may be one of the best options around. The Scientoy Microscope has several magnification capabilities, from 100x to 1200x, and is sold with prepared slides for easy viewing.
Color filters and helpful lights allow kids to see the slides at several different angles, helping to understand what it is they are seeing. Importantly, this microscope is great for elementary school-aged scientists, and will delight older children as well.
- Colorful design
- Prepared slides included
- Color filters
- Attached lights for better viewing
- Slides are labeled and easy to store and identify
- One blank specimen included
- Easy to use
- Great for school and free time
- Limited magnification—3 settings
- Small pieces—not appropriate for young children
Scientific Explorer Mind Blowing Science Kit
Do you want one science kit that does it all? This kit from scientific explorer includes classic experiments and brand new ideas: learn to build a colorful volcano, grow crystals, and more! For the kid who likes to make messes, learn how things work, and is curious about everything around them, this kit is a must-have.
With safe, kid-friendly versions of scientific implements like a pipette and test tubes, as well as basics like citric acid and polyacrylamide crystals, there is everything you need to make their eyes light up with wonder. A handy guide is included with purchase to help you and your child through these truly ‘mind blowing’ experiments!
- Colorful experiments
- Hands-on science
- Ideas for experiments included
- Great for preschool and school aged children
- Great for science educators
- Not all required items included
- Adult supervision required
- Not for children under 3 years of age
Learning Resources Double-Sided Magnetic Human Body
Learning how the human body works is one of the most wonderful and fascinating branches of science, and necessary for everyone with an interest and concern for their well-being. Great for educators and parents alike, this large, magnetic human body makes anatomy and systems of the body easy and fun to learn.
17 individual magnets display the human skeleton as well as the muscular, digestive and other systems. As fun and functional as it is informative, this magnetic anatomy guide is delightful and scientifically engaging. Measuring at about 37’’, its large enough to identify all the different body parts and functions.
- Large and easy to assemble
- Many systems identifiable to children
- Double-sided to include skeletal system
- Detailed illustrations
- Appropriate for all ages
- Magnetic—can be used on whiteboards or refrigerators
- Does not include names of the body parts
- Too small for some surfaces
4M Solar System Planetarium
Go beyond with this beautiful, accurate planetarium. With a combination of easy-to-assemble planets and stands, glow-in-the-dark paint pen, and questions to test your knowledge of the planets in our solar system.
When assembled, the planets rotate on their own stand, creating an accurate representation of the solar system. 4M has been educating young scientists for generations, and this solar system kit will prepare your child for a lifetime of learning and exploration.
- Easy to assemble
- Appropriate for older children—ages 8+
- Includes everything you need to identify and learn facts about the planets
- Fosters both artistic creativity and scientific fact
- Can hang from the ceiling
- Wall chart included
- Small pieces—not appropriate for small children
- Does not include Pluto
With such a wide range of science toys, your child will remain curious and prepared for the questions we face in STEM fields, as well as creativity and curiosity necessary in a changing world. Some of the best science toys available today will be both entertaining and informative.