Drones (source) have become increasingly popular these days even among kids. While they used to be just for enthusiasts, there are now drones designed for kids that promote STEM knowledge. Like many other toys for learning and development, the best drones for kids help kids strengthen their basic knowledge in engineering and technology.
If you are ready to invest in the best drones for kids, this review will help. If you read through, we will help you choose the best drones for kids by providing a detailed review for each of the popular model in the market.
Different Applications for Drones
The best drones for kids are among the educational toys for children. The are also one of the ideal gifts for boys. Before buying one, it would be best to introduce to kids the uses of more advanced drones. This way, kids will be able to develop their interest in the technology.
1. Drones are useful in rescue operations. In any types of disaster, drones can be used to survey the affected area, assess the damage and locate victims.
2. Drones assist in law enforcement and military. The U.S. government greatly benefited from drone development and acquisition as it supports the national security interests (source). In law enforcement, drones are now being used to track suspects, monitor large crowds, and conduct tactical surveillance among others.
3. Drones are great in aerial photography. This is quite a popular application of drones. They help enthusiasts get the best aerial views and shots.
4. Drones aid in agriculture (source). In large-scale farming, drones are being used in planting, spraying and monitoring and analyzing crop performance among others.
5. Other applications of drones. Drones may also be used for wildlife monitoring, weather forecasting and other functions. However, one of the most popular application for drones now is for taking selfies.
Are Drones Legal?
Before you ever let your kid do the first test flight, it is important to note the rules and regulations by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in regards with the use of flying drones in the U.S. Kids should understand and respect these rules to avoid legal repercussions.
The FAA refers to drones as Unmanned Aircraft System. If you have this type of aircraft, you or your kids should observe the following Dos and Don’ts that apply to non-commercial uses of drones:
- Drones should fly below 400 feet
- Drones should stay clear of obstacles
- Drones should be within visual line of sight
- Fly a drone that weighs over 55 pounds without FAA registration
- Drones should not interfere with any manned aircraft operations
- Drones should not fly within 5 miles of an airport (with exceptions)
- Pilots should not be careless or reckless
- Drones should not fly near stadiums and people
- Drones should not endanger people or other aircraft
- Drones should not fly over national parks
Precaution When Flying the Best Drones for Kids
For children, flying the best drones for kids may be an enjoyable activity but other people might think otherwise. Many people have negative impressions about the best drones for kids. Some people think that these best drones for kids are used for spying or prying on their private life. There are even people who think that it is totally acceptable to shoot a drone.
To avoid getting negative feedback from people, it is a must to avoid flying the best drones for kids other people’s private properties. It is generally safest to fly the best drones for kids over your private property.
Moreover, it is the responsibility of parents to educate their kids about the proper use of the best drones for kids. Flying the best drones for kids entails a big responsibility which must only be given to kids who are able to carry this responsibility.
How to Choose the Best Drones for Kids
Choosing the best drones for kids is far from being easy. There are certain factors that you must consider when comparing the best drones for kids. For one, the cheapest drones with limited features are not for beginners. It would be best to invest in more expensive best drones for kids with GPS and other features for stability.
Generally, best drones for kids that are quadcopters are known for their stability and reliability but they are more expensive models. Also, the best drones for kids are those with long battery life or flight time and with farther control range. But then again, if you want to buy the best drones for kids with top-of-the-line features, you should be willing to spend more.
5 Tips for Beginners
Best Drones for Kids
Unlike most conventional educational toys for kids, choosing the best drones for kids can be tricky because of the many factors you should consider. After thoroughly checking the features of the different drones available, our top choice for the best drones for kids is the Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC as it is lightweight and easy to control which are ideal for beginners and older kids. It also charges quickly and is inexpensive. Kids may also like the Qcopter Green Drone Quadcopter for its 6-axis flight stability system, photo and video capability, and greater flying range and longer flying time. The drawback though is its longer charging time.